Tuesday, April 15, 2008

an old goats a$$ kickin'

Laying on the trail on my back, I stared at the bright morning sky taking inventory of my body parts and contemplating whether today might be my first DNF.

Head was ok. Shoulder hurt like a mother, but didn't appear to be dislocated. Right knee was in pain. My fingers seemed to be sprained, but I could run with that.

Just moments ago at about 6.5 miles into the Old Goats 50K, my right foot tried to have its way against a rock which was firmly lodged in the ground. The rock stayed, my ankle twisted, and I lost my balance falling forward. I tried to catch myself but to no avail. I was going downhill and just a tad bit too fast on this tricky section of the trail. A huge boulder was about to make its acquaintance with my face. Fortunately, I was able to avert a cracked skull by sacrificing my shoulder instead. OUCH!!!

I should've been more careful on this downhill section to begin with, but I was trying to make up time. That's what happens when you get to the starting line about an hour after the race starts. What made my late start worse besides being so far behind was the weather. The forecast was sunny with highs in the 80s – great beach conditions, but not when you're running an ultra in these hills. So not only was I way in the back, but I'd also lost an hour's worth of valuable cooler temps.

I got up gingerly, hobbled for about 50 feet and decided that the sore knee and banged up elbow were not bad enough to keep me from continuing. I finally made it to the candy store aid station at mile 10. By this time, I'd passed up one runner. Great! I wasn't in last place.

One upside to starting this late was that I saw just about every runner on this race on their return trip on the out-and-back portion, including several club members running (iMichelle, Keira, Greg, Alexa, Michelle M., Martin, Robbi, Shelli, Marisa, Carmela, and Kirk–if I've forgotten anyone, sorry).

On the return trip to Blue Jay campground for the next aid station at about mile 18, things were starting to heat up, but fortunately there was still some shade on this section of the course. I arrived feeling pretty good despite the heat and my fall. I refueled and filled my water bottles and off I went.

The last 13 miles proved to be the toughest. By this time it was already close to high noon. I was seeing a lot of the front runners on their way back. The dreaded W. Horsethief Trail was still a few miles away, but I arrived there a bit too soon. About 1.5 miles of steady, brutal climbing and completely exposed to the sun at this point, it wasn't something I was looking forward to. Temperatures were steadily increasing close to the 90s. It was hot. I trudged along slowly. I made it out–barely–but with just enough in the tank to finish the race at about 7:56 by my Garmin, though my official time counting my late start put me closer to 9 hours.

This wasn't my best race, but it was all good. As far as I was concerned, this was one hell of a training run, complete with single track, heat, hills, and spills, just in time for my second 50-miler, the PCT50, four short weeks away. Seriously though, I'm not sure if I'm ready for this one.


angie's pink fuzzy said...


way to go on finishing :)

Dmitri said...

Great story, Eric! I really enjoyed the detailed description of your fall. I fall all the time and it was very easy for me to see that particular half-of-a-second-long part of your race through your eyes :)))
Hey, do not be any timid about PCT. The worst scenario is you will have an awesome training run on an awesome course with a bunch of friends :)
See you in San Diego on Saturday!

Pete Vara said...

Eric you will do well at PCT-Good luck.

Greg said...

you will do great, master!

Jon said...

Way to go and glad you didn't get hurt on your fall. I week before the Boston Marathon I did the same thing and it left some nice big cuts on my knees.

Abbie said...

geez! i'm glad to hear you're okay!