Monday, April 23, 2007

why didn't they wait for us?

"YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!" About a dozen people yelled those words at us, and I'm sure countless others thought them as we negotiated our way through the first mile of the race. We were running to the 2007 La Jolla Half Marathon starting line as 5,000 other runners were stampeding the opposite way.

For the record, we were NOT going the wrong way. We just happened to be running towards the starting line--on the race course, 12 minutes after the gun had gone off. Ok, if it still doesn't make sense, Skips' Chill Crib (CC) in Solana Beach was about 2 miles from the start so we decided to do a mini-mini-Karno and jog to the start line. Unfortunately, we had some oat meal issues that prevented us from leaving early enough to get there in time for the 7:30 am start.

It was really a strategic move on our part.
1. We didn't want to hassle with the long bathroom lines at the start.
2. Trying to negotiate through the large and densely packed group of runners through the first few miles would've unneccessarily expended our energy and broken our stride, and we wanted to avoid that.
3. We had to stay true to form as LFTB (Love from the Back).
4. There was less chance of anybody passing us (psychological tactic).

The La Jolla Half is a beautiful point-to-point course that starts at the Del Mar Fairgrounds as it makes its way south through a few rolling hilles along Old Hwy 101 with great ocean views. At about mile 5 you see where the course goes up on Torrey Pines Road climbing about 420 feet in just under a mile. It then levels off for about 2 miles before it starts to descend down to La Jolla Cove for a nice cushy and grassy finish. Temperatures were in the 50s and 60s making it perfect running weather.

When we finally made it to the starting line, we made a quick bathroom stop with no waiting in line at all (#1), took a quick picture of the dynamic duo (SM and LW), stepped on the mats with our Championchip-enhanced shoes, and officially started our race. For the first mile or so, we were the only runners on the course making for a nice, easy and stress-free start (#2). We were at the very back of the race with not a single runner behind us (#3). LW was off to a quick start leaving me and Skip in her dust. Bee who started just a tad before us was methodically passing the 7:30 am starters one by one.

Skip and I hung out for the most part through the first half of the course while we discussed important life issues like women, boot camp, bosu, the beauty and complexity of the previous night's Cabernet, my lobster dinner--how it could be delicate and robust at the same time. We got to mile 5 and a half and started climbing up Torrey Pines Road. I shuffled my way up as I maneuvered around most of the runners that were walking at this point. When I got to the top, I waited for Skip a bit. With his tall stature and yellow goalie jersey, it was easy to spot him emerge out of the throng of climbers who, unlike Skip, struggled through the dreaded hill.

At around mile 8, I saw that Skip and I were going at about a 10 min. mile pace. From this point on, with the exception of a short hill at the last mile, most of the course was on a downhill grade. I decided to stretch my legs out and see how much time I can shave off that pace. While people were putting on the brakes, I was testing my OCTR training and going down as fast as I can. This was probably the most fun part of the course for me. I imagined the runners I had to pass around as the line that one normally envisioned while descending down a single track. I cruised down to the finish, and Skip followed not too far behind me. We reunited with Bee and LW at the beer garden before catching the shuttle bus back to the start line. LW said that she must've passed everyone on the race course (#4). Our strategy worked to perfection.

From the Del Mar fairgrounds, we jogged back to the CC to complete our 17-mile day.

Because of Skip's hospitality and the OCTRunners in LJ, this was a fun and relaxing weekend with a great road half-marathon course to top it off.

SIDENOTE:
Before running this race I wasn't quite sure how my body would react to doing a half-marathon after not having run on pavement for a few months. I actually felt fine, and as a result of the OCTR runs, I felt strong on the hills (both up and down).

3 comments:

SoberMommie said...

I found your blog thru Jessica. It's me, Kim, from OCTR. I believe we've met on a run or two. Just wanted to say Hi and tell ya that we are running many of the same runs. I just mailed off my registration for SB9T too and I already signed up for the Bulldog 50k. Maybe we can train a bit together.....
Chat more soon!
~kim

Unknown said...

Hi, i just joined the impromptu runners egroup and found you there. Nice blog you got here. I wish we had more runs like this in the philippines.

Hope you don't me linking you to my blog :)

Unknown said...

Kim...thanks for visiting. I'll definitely be doing more training runs with OCTR so we should be able to do more runs together.

Jaymie...thanks, your blog's pretty cool too. Next time I'm in Manila (which I'm hoping isn't too far off), I hope to meet you and the other Happy Feet for a run. Thanks for linking me.