Tuesday, March 11, 2008

running as a constant


On a recent episode of the TV series, "Lost," one of characters, Desmond was suffering from some seemingly hallucinatory bout where he was going back and forth between the past and the present. The only thing that could save him, he found out, was that he needed to find a "constant," something that would be there for him – an object, a place, a person, whatever – both in the past and in the present. In his case, he chose his girlfriend, Penelope, who because she was there for him, literally saved his life.

I thought that was a very good episode, and it got me to thinking that a "constant" is what keeps us rooted and helps us during times of turmoil. We may stray away from it from time to time, but returning to it helps keep us grounded. For some their constant is their family, faith, home, friends, relationships, etc.

I count on running as one of my "constants." I've been running on and off for the last decade or so. I run when times are good, and I run when they're not so peachy either. Running reinforces my love for life, and it gives me comfort when things are tough. Even when I'm ill or injured and couldn't run, I still benefit from running knowing that I can come back to it soon enough.

It is easy to take the ability to run for granted, so I always try to count that as a blessing and a "constant" that for me, at least, will be there for a long time to come.

6 comments:

onepinkfuzzy said...

a great metaphor!

Rick Gaston said...

I agree, running has been my constant since I started 8 years ago. I've run in all my emotional moods and it's done me good.

Sarah said...

Same here, I'm discovering that now more than ever. Not being able to run has effected more aspects of my life than I imagined. And once I'm back running I'll never take it for granted again.

P.s. For some reason I can't get a feed off your blog.....

Anonymous said...

nirvana.

Anonymous said...

i hope i can say that in the next years too. that i can count running as my "constant". but whilst you've found one of your constants already, isn't it sweeter to have that constant partner? *cheeky*

musta? buzz me when u get online ayt? :-)

Unknown said...

Very well said. I feel the same way even if I've just been running for a little over a year.

Nice photo by the way.